Invalid An Elysium-dedicated Jailbreak map

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 50

Ok so, I'm planning on getting back into the hammer editor just to make a perfect jailbreak map dedicated to Elysium, and I personally want to ask you peeps what the best parts about each section of jb are (armory/medic area, cell area, minigame areas, etc), and what I should include (methods into armory, specific minigames, etc). I don't want a map that others will complain over, such as jb_supermario_v13 lacking a majority of minigames, or jb_quake_b5 only having one known way into Armory via Diner. I want a map that everyone can agree on and enjoy.

For clarification, I want ideas and suggestions on what to put into this dedicated map, how to organize it, etc.

Axelsten06

Apr 22, 2020
Make it mostly skill related games but include some luck based. I will give you a list of my favorite games and some that i think is just neccesary:

• Obby (also, make it hard and have things like strafe part, moving things)
  • Climb
  • fall game (classic luck/skill based game)
  • sweeper (use 16 or more podiums)
  • sumo (a small area that gets smaller and collisions will be on)
  • Danger below
  • bhop, speedrun and all of theese fun skill based minigames

For the design and layout of everything. Try to make it a good uniqe theme and make sure to have alot of secret spots. Also, make sure that people notice that the map is for elysium only. What i mean by that is you need to be able to see that it is elysium just by looking at the textures etc.

For my closing words. I would love to see this map and i hope you will be able to fulfill this. I wish you the best of luck and i hope some of theese will help you improve the map. Good Luck.

D

Deleted member 50

Make it mostly skill related games but include some luck based. I will give you a list of my favorite games and some that i think is just neccesary:
  • Obby (also, make it hard and have things like strafe part, moving things)
  • Climb
  • fall game (classic luck/skill based game)
  • sweeper (use 16 or more podiums)
  • sumo (a small area that gets smaller and collisions will be on)
  • Danger below
  • bhop, speedrun and all of theese fun skill based minigames
I personally feel that that's a good minigame choice, but there's a few outliers imo.
Sumo can be frustrating, and most evil-hearted wardens prefer to also do "no crouch day", effectively and unfairly killing about 3-4 simultaneously, and can stir some salt. I may not implement this minigame due to that fact. Some wardens may forget to turn on collisions as well.
Aside from that, I believe that there should be a minigame that benefits those with crazy high ping (like I occasionally get for no reason), so inmates don't have to play Sweeper jumping a full 2 seconds early, or end up not being able to play Crush Game at all. I wouldn't like this to be luck-based either, such as Nine Square. Decision-based games - such as Diner - can work well, however I feel that some blus may be unreliant and say "no" to every option, no matter how good it is. That's a server-related matter though, not a map-related one.
For the design and layout of everything. Try to make it a good uniqe theme and make sure to have alot of secret spots. Also, make sure that people notice that the map is for elysium only. What i mean by that is you need to be able to see that it is elysium just by looking at the textures etc.

For my closing words. I would love to see this map and i hope you will be able to fulfill this. I wish you the best of luck and i hope some of theese will help you improve the map. Good Luck.
Making it unique is one of my biggest worries, as I am not one to have an imagination. I can make it Elysium-only by naming it jb_elysium_(vers. no.) and making the entirety of the map purple-pink (like neon colors).
Regarding your closing words, I thank you so much for the enthusiasm. Homework's been getting me recently, and I'm trying to get through it as fast as I can.

Axelsten06

Apr 22, 2020
I personally feel that that's a good minigame choice, but there's a few outliers imo.
Sumo can be frustrating, and most evil-hearted wardens prefer to also do "no crouch day", effectively and unfairly killing about 3-4 simultaneously, and can stir some salt. I may not implement this minigame due to that fact. Some wardens may forget to turn on collisions as well.
Aside from that, I believe that there should be a minigame that benefits those with crazy high ping (like I occasionally get for no reason), so inmates don't have to play Sweeper jumping a full 2 seconds early, or end up not being able to play Crush Game at all. I wouldn't like this to be luck-based either, such as Nine Square. Decision-based games - such as Diner - can work well, however I feel that some blus may be unreliant and say "no" to every option, no matter how good it is. That's a server-related matter though, not a map-related one.

Making it unique is one of my biggest worries, as I am not one to have an imagination. I can make it Elysium-only by naming it jb_elysium_(vers. no.) and making the entirety of the map purple-pink (like neon colors).
Regarding your closing words, I thank you so much for the enthusiasm. Homework's been getting me recently, and I'm trying to get through it as fast as I can.
Yeah, after reading through youre respond i agree with almost everything. Neither do i like the decision or luck based games. For the elysium style map. I mean like put logo and try to be a bit more purple and pink color themed but not to overpowering. The minigame was just suggestions and i expect there to be more minigames then just that.

D

Deleted member 50

Yeah, after reading through youre respond i agree with almost everything. Neither do i like the decision or luck based games. For the elysium style map. I mean like put logo and try to be a bit more purple and pink color themed but not to overpowering. The minigame was just suggestions and i expect there to be more minigames then just that.
I get it, I get it. I'll put plenty of minigames around. And for the logo, perhaps one of the mods could create a banner if there isn't already one?

Bloom

Honorary Member ★
Aug 25, 2019
Sylvania, Ohio, U.S.A
Just remember to keep it nice and clean, we don't want reports of players using some OP hidden secret you added or along those lines and make sure to TEST the map, the only thing worse than a bad map is a broken one.

However, I do think a Elysium-exclusive map would be kinda nice for the server and I support it 100%.

D

Deleted member 50

I kinda need to know how big an Elysium-dedicated map would be. Would it be small like Quake, medium like Minecraft, big like Famous, or massive like Chretien? I'm referring to the main halls and areas for size.

D

Deleted member 50

I'm just asking what people would prefer for a jailbreak environment to suit everyone.

D

Deleted member 50

Back on this topic, I've decided to go through every single one of Elysium's current JB maps and organize their minigames into sections, whether they be luck-based, skill-based, or reliant on blu input. I would like to know everyone's favorite skill-based minigames that they would like to see in jb_elysium. I'm putting in luck-based and choice-based minigames in regardless due to the small number of them. Here they are, in no particular order;
  • Luck
    • Nine Square
    • Four Corners
    • Bowling (ball unreliant)
    • Fall Game
    • Guess Who (mlcastle Stage Chaos)
  • Skill
    • Obby
    • Sweeper
    • Crush Game
    • Dodgeball
    • Soccer
    • Arena
    • Disco
    • Pool
    • Box Game
    • Minefield (bombs are preset in the same places, only requires map knowledge)
    • Deathrun
    • Jumprope
    • Danger Below (platforms come in a set order)
    • Steady Pace
    • Speedrun
    • Stairway to Heaven
    • Strafe Race
    • Vs Sentry
    • Climb
    • Karts
    • AWP Dodge
  • Choice
    • Jeopardy/Trivia
    • Diner/Bar
    • Theatre

Bloom

Honorary Member ★
Aug 25, 2019
Sylvania, Ohio, U.S.A
Usually favorites I see are as follow:

• Luck
    • Nine Square
    • Four Corners
    • Fall Game
  • Skill
    • Obby
    • Sweeper
    • Disco
    • Pool
    • Box Game
    • Deathrun
    • Steady Pace
    • Speedrun
    • Climb
And all the choice options are favorable enough, so the map would have to be roomy to accommodate all of them, making space for guards to keep their distance but not completely open ended in big areas (like the Mario maps) so it would have to be a balanced game experience for both. Rebelling and gaining weapons should be difficult but not impossible.

Heres other things that would make the map more of a standout:

• Breakables in various places, such armory walls or a cell/cells (Armory breakables would have to be a requirement)
  • Hidden ammo pickups, maybe around 1-4 depending on the size of the map. I recommend smaller ammo packets though and place them in breakables so that it's not too easy to get ahold of some.
  • Enough Cell Spawn points to hold 32 players.
  • Multiple paths, not completely linear level design
  • Decent Lighting
  • Some props to make the level feel atmospheric (Such as trees or crates depending on the theme you go for)
  • TRY to keep it bug free, and if bugs are reported be on standby to fix some.

The Letter B

Rhinophymiac
★ VIP ★
Honorary Member ★
Jul 10, 2020
Norway
I would offer help, but I don't have any talents. But if you need mediocre textures/meme textures I'm your guy.

ThatMedicisaSpy!!

Jul 15, 2020
We all say all these mini games which are great and all, but now we have to decide a theme
Most map has some sort of theme or something it’s based off
Lunapark has a spooky and haunted theme with things like a Haunted House or a dark atmosphere
Alkatraz is obviously based off of alkatraz (was it with a k or a c?)
Mlcastle has a mario theme with the mini games designed with things like Mushrooms or Goombas

Every one of these maps has some sort of theme, but there are a few exceptions
Like hop_jb or chretien which are just general jail maps

You can also invent new games, make a way to escape, make easter eggs
You can also play other submitted maps from other builders and get inspiration
Maybe add spells, wacky easter eggs, secret ammo spots, hiding spots.

Here are some games that I’ve invented though I wouldn’t know if they’d be balanced or not
(Names may vary or change)
Arcade Crane/Electric Chair: Randomly select a RED to commit die
Strafe Darts: REDs strafe and try to land in the middle of a dart board
Crushed Escape: Based off the Mario Party 9 mini game, REDs try to go on glowing safe spots to not get crushed
Hop-Skotch: Hop through simple grid obstacles that decreases the time limit less and less

All of these games you can make, and you can take inspiration from the relatively new maps that were added, like Connect Four, Battleship, Wipeout (Not obby), or even Jojo.

Now obviously you can do whatever the heck you want with your map, but if possible try to make a theme

Thanks for reading

(Edit): I don’t know if you were asking for this or you just wanted some advice for mini games, either way I included both sooo :/

Eight

Incognito
Staff member
Manager ★★
Oct 21, 2018
Closed since the map maker has left the community. If they ever return, and an Elysium-themed Jailbreak map is finished, it can be considered and possibly added.

Status
Not open for further replies.