"NSFW" Maps

Pootis Birb

Bein' a Birb ლ(⁰⊖⁰ლ)
Staff member
Moderator ★
Aug 4, 2020
Scania, Sweden
So, as of right now we have several maps on our servers that contain either degrading insults or contain inappropriate images. I feel like that we should either remove these maps or restrict them in some way since they're either really good maps or iconic. Additionally, maps like these may "trick" people into believing that using things like the f-slur and using inappropriate symbols like the swastika is perfectly acceptable, which it isn't.
The maps in question are:
  • Casuarina (Jailbreak Map) - Shows a picture of Hitler with a Swastika
  • Mario Kart (Sandbox Map) - Shows a picture of Mario with the caption "Do it F*gg*t"
Note that I have not looked at every map, so there may be some missing.

Bloom

Honorary Member ★
Aug 25, 2019
Sylvania, Ohio, U.S.A
Yes but you can't
Additionally, maps like these may "trick" people into believing that using things like the f-slur and using inappropriate symbols like the swastika is perfectly acceptable, which it isn't.
I understand where you're coming from with this sentence but you can't really say "but the map does it" as an excuse. It's a map. If people have an issue with it they need to address the map maker directly and voice their complaints. And if people are encouraged by the map to do such actions, that's a lie, because you can't be encouraged by a map to swear without some form of indoctrination, you typed/uttered those words yourself therefor it's directly blamed on you, not the map.

Pootis Birb

Bein' a Birb ლ(⁰⊖⁰ლ)
Staff member
Moderator ★
Aug 4, 2020
Scania, Sweden
I understand where you're coming from with this sentence but you can't really say "but the map does it" as an excuse. It's a map. If people have an issue with it they need to address the map maker directly and voice their complaints. And if people are encouraged by the map to do such actions, that's a lie, because you can't be encouraged by a map to swear without some form of indoctrination, you typed/uttered those words yourself therefor it's directly blamed on you, not the map.
This is true, and I 100% agree with it. Though, I've seen a few times where someone has been banned and voiced their complaint with that exact excuse, "but the map does it" (not sure if it was Elysium, and it probably wasn't). To be frank, I still believe that its their fault, and I just wanted to bring up this topic since it seemed like it would make an interesting discussion.

Bloom

Honorary Member ★
Aug 25, 2019
Sylvania, Ohio, U.S.A
This is true, and I 100% agree with it. Though, I've seen a few times where someone has been banned and voiced their complaint with that exact excuse, "but the map does it". To be frank, I still believe that its their fault, and I just wanted to bring up this topic since it seemed like it would make an interesting discussion.
Think of it like attacking somebody because a message on a brick wall said to hurt somebody. Yeah, the wall said it but YOU followed it, therefor you're still liable, while the brick (or a map in this case) is innocent because, it's a brick wall. Just because someone wrote a message on it doesn't mean you have to follow the message.

Would be different if someone gathered at the wall to do exactly what was on it (I.e do the Nazi Salute near the Swastika Flag, or protesting pro-homophobia in front of that Mario sign.)

Last edited: